Friday, October 5, 2012

Reader's Response Journals

     Reader's Response Journals are something I first learned about while studying to be a teacher.  Although many of the things I studied as a teacher have not been useful to me as a homeschooler, I have found that Reader's Response Journals work well for us.
     A Reading Response Journal is basically a journal in which the student responds to literature.  It is a way to generate discussion about literature, validate your child's opinion, and connect reading and writing to further enhance meaning.  In a classroom setting, I have used Reader Response Journals as an opportunity to dialogue with students individually about the books they are reading.  Because I have only 3 "students" now, I have much more time and I can actually talk to each of my kids about what they have written.  I also don't write in their response journals,
because I want them to have complete ownership.
     Just like anything else, "quality" takes time.  It also takes modeling by the "teacher" and by modeling, I also mean that you should have your own response journal (and yes I do. )
Katie and Chelsea have 3 Readers Response Journals.  They have 1 for American History which they record what they've learned by reading history literature.  This is not a true response journal (in my mind, but they call it that), the girls also have one for all other books they have read, and a separate one just for Magic Tree House books.  This was their choice.  Chris has an American History Reader Response Journal and another for books that he has read.  I have just one. 
     My goal in our journals is to generate discussion among us (we share our entries) and create a community of readers and writers.  Sharing is optional (everyone always wants to share.)  A Reading Response Journal should be a place where you can write about what you have read in whatever way that you want.  It is yours.  There is no right or wrong way to do it.  That does not mean that you do not provide your student direction.  I have a list of questions/ideas that I have posted to get everyone thinking.  These questions have been compiled from a variety of sources (teacher textbooks, my brain,  and busyteacherscafe.com).

How do I get started ?

     Have your child decorate a notebook (it can be any kind), I like a mixture of lines and blank pages
Write about a book that you and your child have read together , then share what you have written.

Good prompts to help you get started:

What was your favorite part of the book ?
What did you like ? dislike? and why?
What did you feel while you were reading ?
I didn't understand ...
I love the way...
My favorite character was... because...
I felt sad...
I felt happy...
I wish the ending...

     In my journal I also record passages that strike me in some way.  Sometimes I write them, sometimes I photocopy them and glue them in.  In their Magic Tree House Journal (they insisted on sharing this one) the girls use stickers and decorations appropriate to the content of the book.

     Remember there is no right or wrong way to do it.  Reading Response Journals are a great way to build a community of readers and writers.  Try it.  And let me know if you do.




1 comment:

  1. What a great idea! I can see the kids frowning at it though. :( Anything that's more writing = complaints! ::sigh:: I've often thought of starting one for just sayings, phrases or thoughts for inspirations.

    ReplyDelete