Friday, October 19, 2012

Weekly Wrap-Up Link Up

Highlights in Our Homeschool This Week ...

Chris has been doing research on rainforests for the book he is writing.  He has completed 40 typed pages so far. 

Katie and Chelsea have been teaching Sarah and Lily (their American Girl dolls) about space.  The dolls now have their own Reader Response Journals :0).

We have been rereading all of our fairy tale books and some from the library.  We have had a lot of fun trying to guess who the fairy tale characters are in "Once Upon a Time" on Netflix. (Caution : Please preview this first before you let your kids watch it.  Some material may be too scary or inappropriate for some children.) (And if you have seen it... let me know... don't you just love Rumplestiltskin?  His laugh gives me the chills...)

We have begun our America in the 1700's unit.  For a list of the books we are reading, see Planning Our Year American History. 



My Favorite Thing This Week...

Going to a corn maze in the shape of a turkey.  We started out all together in the maze (as we do every year) and every year the girls and I get annoyed because Daddy and Chris look at the maze map.  So this year, the girls and I left the boys and ventured off on our own.  We had a great time racing to see who would come out of the maze first.  The boys using their map, beat us out.  However, we did help them when we found them in the maze lost.  We ended our day at a Japanese steak house that recently came to our area.  As the chef was cooking, he would fling food in our direction and we would have to try to catch it with our mouths.  He also had a hula girl squirt bottle in which he would periodically shoot at people around the table. So much fun...



We're Reading...

Chris read #3 in The Archer Legacy, and he reread Eragon ( the author, Christopher  Paolini was homeschooled and began writing Eragon at age 16.)

Katie finished reading #1 in the second series Warriors:The New Prophecy and started #2.

Chelsea read The Boxcar Children #12,13 and is working on #14.

Chris is still reading Gregor #3 to the girls, and I am still reading Treasure Island to everyone.

I am reading The End of Your Life Book Club.



Places We're Going...

... ballet, Dr.'s, dentist, vet.'s, haircuts, and corn maze



Things I'm Working on...

... going through the kids' fall and winter clothes, jackets, boots, and snow pants to see what still fits.

4 comments:

  1. Wow! He's working very diligently on his book. Will you have it bound with a cover when he's done? It'll be neat to have a bound book to treasure!

    I love the American Girl Dolls in the background doing school too! Very precious! My girl (10) loves American Girl still. (She's read most of the books over and over.) I just got her a subscription to the magazine for Christmas. Shh! LOL

    That Japanese restaurant sounds like a lot of fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. I'm so proud of him. We have a binding machine, but I want to find a place that will bind it like an actual book. That much work deserves something special.

      My girls love the Netflix American Girl movies too. Has your daughter seen them ? I will have to look into a subscription.

      Delete
  2. My daughter is 13 and I could never get her interested in dolls. I would have loved to have done the American Girl Doll thing with her. But her love has and always will be for stuffed animals. Oy vey, the animals we have collected over the years. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could never get them interested in dolls either until Grandma bought them American Girls. Unfortunately, I know all about the stuff animal thing times 2. :0)

      Delete