Saturday, September 29, 2012

Weekly Wrap-Up Link Up

In Our Homeschool this Week... Chris is writing a sequel to his first "book" ; he's written 16 typed pages (Great job Buddy !) and he wrote a synopsis of his first "book."  He also managed to squeeze in some time to work on his science fair project. 

Katie and Chelsea have been doing a number of mad libs this week.  I love them!  It makes me feel better because we don't use any curriculum for grammar (and I'm not sure we ever will.)  The girls have also spent a lot of time working on their Readers Response Journals (these deserve a separate post, which may happen soon.)

We all have spent time working on our Government/Election Unit.

My Favorite Thing this Week... Decorating the house for Halloween and watching Bentley (1 year old Golden) react to the decorations

My Favorite Resource this Week... Microsoft Word... not for me.... for Chris
He has been using it to write his "book".  The grammar and spell check features are an instant editor and teacher.  When he first began using the computer for his writing, I thought I would never make it through.  He is a perfectionist  and all of the squiggly red and green lines were quite upsetting.  Now the lines are appearing less frequently.  I have noticed an amazing improvement in his writing.

We're Reading...
Chris is reading Over Sea, Under Stone by Susan Cooper (The Dark is Rising series #1)

Katie is continuing with the first Warriors series #6.

Chelsea has read The Boxcar Children #9, Magic Puppy New Beginning #1, and Spooky Buddies (movie novelization.)  She is working on Magic Puppy series book 2(while she waits for the next Boxcar Children books to arrive.)

Chris is still reading Gregor the Overlander #3 by Suzanne Collins to the girls, and I am reading Treasure Island (for our book club) to all of them.

I finally finished The One Year Adventure Novel (reading it, not writing it)  I am still very much missing my Kindle.  For those of you who don't know, she finally gave up.  She was 4 and well-loved and well-used.  I miss her terribly (honey, are you reading this ?)  Tomorrow is my birthday...

Places we're Going and People We're Seeing... We met with our homeschool geography club this week.  We are learning about Brazil.  We made Brigadeiros (a Brazilian candy similar to chocolate truffles) to share. 
The girls went to ballet class.
We made an emergency trip to the vet with Sheba (10 year old cat) with a huge unexplained(Bentley??) hematoma on her ear.

Things I'm Working on... We decorated the inside of our house for Halloween. (Does anyone else decorate early/go crazy with decorating for holidays ?)

4 comments:

  1. Yes, please do a post on the reading journals! I'd love to know more about them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We love Mad Libs too, and we also have no formal grammar curriculum. I agree with you that the grammar and spell check in word processing programs are great teachers :)
    Thanks for linking at Favorite Resources.
    Happy Birthday! I hope you get your new Kindle!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Leslie...it's Julie. SHS Julie. Do you tweet/facebook or linkedin. I have a very infrequent blog @ esq140.com. I work @ www.gfblawfirm.com. So stoked to have found you! I have a 4.5 y.o. Do NOT plan on homeschooling. Snaps to you! Love, Julie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you found me ... Don't tweet/facebook or linkedin. Send me an e-mail... I'd love to catch up.

      Delete