Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Wednesday's Weekly Wonderful World of Words

     I love to read.  I am always looking for good books.  There are a lot of books out there...

  In our house, it's a challenge to find good books that we haven't read yet.  So on Wednesdays I thought I'd share with you a book I/we (my kids don't always read my recommendations) have enjoyed.  Why Wednesdays ? (I liked the alliteration :0).

My pick of the week:

The Seven Tales of Trinket by Shelley Moore Thomas (2012)

The author had me at the first page:

MY FATHER WAS A TELLER OF TALES.  It runs in the blood, I think, for never have I loved anything so much as a story.
Except for my mother, of course.
I loved her well.
Her death was the worst thing I've ever known...
... My mother's last breath begins this story, for each story has a beginning.  That is the first thing a storyteller must learn.

     Don't let the beginning put you off.  This is not a sad story.  Before I hand my kids a book with such a beginning, I tell them what happens.  We are big fans of happy endings ( I used to read the last pages of a book first, to make sure it had a happy ending.)
     Trinket follows an old tattered map in search of her father.  On her journey the adventures that she shares with Thomas the Pig Boy are her seven collected tales.  The author uses folklore from Wales, Scotland, and Ireland to weave her story.  Shelley Moore Thomas works as  an elementary school teacher and a professional storyteller.  It shows in her writing.  This book would make an excellent read aloud.  Lexile level is 730, recommended for ages 8-12.
I read lots of books, so the question for me always comes to, would I buy it for my library? Yes...
     Do you have any any good book recommendations (children's or adult) ?  Let me know, we are always looking...

No comments:

Post a Comment