Monday, August 6, 2012

Fairies Welcome

A friend of mine is reading Last Child in the Woods by Richard Louv, I downloaded a sample, but I just couldn't persuade myself to read it;  I am already fully convinced about the importance of spending time outside.  I was looking for a book with simple, easy- to implement ideas to keep the kids busy outside.

Fortunately, Barb at A Handbook of Nature Study blog recommended Fifteen Minutes Outside: 365 Ways to Get out of the House and Connect with Your Kids by Rebecca P. Cohen.  It is exactly what I was looking for.  Some of the ideas in the book are things we already do, and some ideas (create your own drive-in), I've never thought of.  I'm also excited about assembling a s'more, wrapping it in aluminum foil, and leaving it in the sun for 10 minutes,( s'mores during the day without a hot campfire :O).

This morning Katie and Chelsea were out the screen door before I had finished my cup of coffee:


Maybe the kids don't need this book for ideas, perhaps it's really for the grownups who have forgotten.

1 comment:

  1. That does sound like a terrific book! Perhaps it would be a great choice for a grown-up book club. ;)

    ReplyDelete